MedInfoS Health care system makes care more convenient for patients, online reservations will make appointments scheduling easy, patients will be able to view services offered by a certain medical institution online, availability of doctors, self diagnosis etc. Also with MedInfoS a patient’s medical history, prescription information and test results are at their care provider’s fingertips, saving the patient the burden of providing the information repeatedly to different doctors, repeating same information over and over can be frustrating when one is not well, also it could lead to inaccuracy.
MedInfoS enhances the ability of medical personnel to respond to public health emergencies and disasters. Data can be aggregated and used to improve public health, helping to understand outbreaks in communities and allowing appropriate responses, the system has the ability to give required results in seconds, generate stats in just a click, whilst with the old use, it would take months to gather results, require skills to turn results into useful stats. In disaster situations such as a flooding, health IT system can give practitioners access to a patient’s medical history, regardless of where their medical information lives, imagine if Johannesburg Gen Hospital burns down, millions of patients information will be lost, whereas if it’s stored in MedInfoS, it will remain intact.
MedInfoS will enable discovery in new medical breakthroughs and it will provide a platform for innovation. As patient information becomes digitized, researchers can now analyze large sets of anonymous data, facilitating the rapid introduction of new therapies and better analysis on the effectiveness of medications and treatments. In addition, through the increased use of new, innovative mobile technologies and social networking tools, health IT offers the health care industry new ways to understand and administer care to patients.
MedinfoS will transform the way health-related information is gathered, stored, shared and used and this application holds the promise of revolutionizing South African's health care system, making it more efficient, more effective and more focused on meeting the needs of patients.
The current health system presents factors that put patients' health at a greater risk and uncertainties’. The current system fails to provide required health security that you and your family deserve.
MedInfoS application brings a health care system that addresses gaps and void on the current system, Security, reliability, accuracy, availability, and quality of your medical history in one go.
MedInfoS focuses on creating medical profiles for patients, and managing the information in a safe controlled environment.
Uses of the application
MedInfoS application will be used by different entities; uses will be guided by the designation of an entity.
- Use the system to view their medical information, medical billing statements, online bookings, collection points, appointments, refills, lab results, test results etc.
- HSP’s and HSP’s administrators-
- Use the system to manage patient's health information, sync calendar for online bookings, referring patients, online prescription etc
- Issuing of prescribed drugs, recording issue of non-prescribed drugs, recording dosage, quantity and instructions on the patient's file.
- Record results of requested tests (making it instantly available), keeps track of test status etc.
- Government, drug manufacturers etc.
- track service delivery and data statistics
INFORMATION STORED ON MEDICAL HISTORY FILE
Information that is deemed essential in the file
- The patients’ medical history
- Prescriptions and dosages
- Illnesses/ sicknesses (acute/chronic etc.)
- Other important information i.e. Medical exams, smoking status, recurring illness etc
- Demographic information-Patients address, contact details, marital status, no. of children, etc
- Blood type if available
- Family GP
- First degree relatives, and family-gene-related diseases—if available
- Medical Aid scheme details
- Next of kin details
- Employer’s details
The main aim is to create a single profile per patient. What should be included in the medical history?
Detailed consultations with any doctor
- Reason for a consultation
- Type of consultation (visit, phone call etc.)
- Cause of the sickness
- Medication prescribed and period
- Type of diagnosis (acute, chronic etc)
- Date of next visit
- Blood type( in emergencies, blood transfusion)
The pharmacy should, after giving the prescribed medicine
- Log the medicine given (sometimes a patient does not get the exact prescription, an alternative)
- Period of consumption-estimated
- Additional comments